Sunday 26 April 2009

Utrecht Observatory / Sterrenwacht

(from weblog http://www.cyclingpeace.org/journey72.html
I got up this morning at 03:00. This in time, to get to the observatory (Sterren-wacht) by 06:30 (for the 'Venus Transit' at 07:11 I thought).
I actually arrived at 06:20, the first one on the scene.

I walked around this 'fortress' on the 'hill' (probably the highest ground in Utrecht) to discover it's been in continual use as an observatory for 437 years, one of the oldest (1552 - 1989).
On their 'rounded' corner stone it says in Latin:

ARX SOLIS DICOR FLAGRANS FVLCORE CORVSCO DVRA SILEX HOSTI TVTA MEI STATIO. I wish I knew what that meant

2 comments:

  1. Very nice blog! ^^
    do you know Seoul, Korea?
    if not, feel free to visit me.
    Thanks a lot ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.
    I don't know Seoul but maybe in the far future....
    How did you come on this blog. By accident
    or have you been in Utrecht before?

    ReplyDelete